Facing the reality of hair loss after cancer treatment is surely traumatic and stressful. Severe hairfall and baldness not just negatively impacts your overall appearance but also breaks your confidence somewhere. In such cases, head wears like wigs can be a helpful solution that boosts your confidence and brings back your beautiful look instantly. Wigs for cancer patients are special and they must be dealt with specially so that the wearer is comfortable wearing them. Therefore, selecting the right collection of cancer wigs is important.
• Look For Medically-approved Wigs: It is important for the patient to feel comfortable. So make sure the chosen wig is medically-approved or prescribed by the doctor. Since they are going through a rough and tough phase in their life, things like wigs should be easy and bearable for them. Opt for heat resistant wigs, something which is lightweight, comfortable, and soft on the delicate scalp. There are also Chemotherapy hats and turbans available that perfectly covers the head against harmful UV rays.
• Wig Base: A wig base (also called a wig cap) is the foundation of a wig, which makes it easier for the wig to fit your scalp. So whenever it’s cancer wigs on the list, make sure that you check the type, quality, and adjustability of the wig cap first. It has to be extremely comfortable from a patient’s point of view. You can just look for the following cap traits:
1.Comfort Cap: Here, the strands of hair are hand-tied to the base, which makes the wig much more realistic and comfy to wear.
2.Cap-less or Wefted Base: Wigs with this base are less dense and light-weight. So they provide better air circulation and comfort to the wearer. Even doctors recommend cap-less wigs to cancer patients due to a high-level of comfort and convenience.
3.Monofilament Base: It is a closed cap, which is constructed with a thin, mesh, nylon-like material. The upper section of this cap is coated with a thin layer of latex and the strands of hair are either hand-tied or machine-tied. So patients won’t feel any discomfort on wearing such a wig.
• Type of Wigs: The type and quality of wig hair are other important factors that are worth considering. Wigs are generally created with two types of hair – human hair and synthetic hair.
Read More: Wearing Wigs The Right Way Every Day!
1. Human Hair wigs are created from the harvested human hair and usually suits all skin types. And, a heat resistant wig in this category gives you all the freedom to style, perm, blow-dry, and straighten your wig. So you can experiment as much as you want with these wigs and keep up your high spirits during this tough phase.
2.Synthetic Wigs are created with man-made fibers (like polymer, acrylic, and plastic) and therefore, they can hold a style even after a shampoo.
Cancer wigs made from any of the above material works best provided the patient is comfortable wearing it. So go for the one which is easier and makes you feel alive again.
• Wig Quality and Other Features: Apart from wig type and cap construction, there are a few more factors that you need to consider while shopping cancer wigs:
1.Hair-quality: Hair quality is graded on the basis of its strength, elasticity, and luster. Good quality wigs don’t just offer longevity, styling versatility, and realistic appearance but are also comfortable for the patient.
2. Hair Length: You can choose whatever feels comfortable to you. There are curly wigs, bob wigs, long wigs, and short wigs. Go for the one that makes you feel confident and strong. You can also get them custom-designed as per your requirements.
3.Wig Color: After Chemotherapy, usually your skin becomes pale due to so many medications and injections. Therefore, choosing the right wig color becomes important to brighten up your entire persona, which will eventually help you come out of this phase.
Chemo sessions are definitely traumatic. Taking the help of these little things called wigs can truly be a blessing during your stressful journey.
And, the best part is- This too will pass. Once your natural hair starts growing back after chemo sessions, you can take off your wig. We have often seen people assuming that wigs or scarves prevent natural hair growth after medical treatments. But this is not the case. Your hair will grow in the same intensity, with or without headwear. Your natural hair growth is affected by powerful cancer medications and Chemotherapy. Once you successfully conquer it, you will see your hair growing within six months. Since hair growth varies from person to person, some patients will notice immediate results while in some cases, it will take more than 2-3 months. But your hair will definitely grow!
Cancer is deadly, but don’t let it overpower you. Keep your self-confidence and will power always high and do not hesitate to try anything that makes you feel better and confident- just like wigs
Comments will be approved before showing up.